[geeks] DST hell

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 12 15:42:00 CDT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:35:27 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:11:17PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > A GUI is a hell of a lot faster for certain classes of file browsing and
> > manipulation, so it is convienient then.
> >
> > You use the GUI until it becomes a liability, and then fire off a shell.
> >
> > Likewise you can use a CLI until it becomes a liability, and just fire
> > up your favorite GUI file browser wherever you currently are.
> >
> > Most good UNIX GUI file tools work well with the shell.
>
> I would like to see a unix file browser with a shell at the bottom of
> each window, with a cwd of the displayed window.  It could start out as
> 1 line, but be draggable to enlarge to numerous lines.

Midnight Commander and several similar other GUI and console programs do that
and have for years.

KDE can also do it, and so can a couple of other KDE file browsers.

--
shannon / There is a limit to how stupid people really are, just as there's
-------'  a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot,