[geeks] DST hell

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 11 11:08:51 CDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:55:24 +0000
Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:

> Even 'stop database and backup' is better than the way things work
> under Windows where open files just don't get backed up[2]. In one case
> work's backup people were dealing with a situation where a user refused
> to exit the application to allow them to backup the data files; of
> course when it was necessary to do a restore, work's backup people got
> an earful for not making sure the data was backed up.

Everywhere I've ever worked, Windows backups has been a PITA.

Of course, the whole thing is foobar.

Yeah, I know that VMS also does locking by default, but it also has tools to
deal with it and most admins won't put the system in a circular dependency
situation if they can avoid it.

Windows is so complicated, that it ends up locking itself out of itself all
the time.

That's why you have to reboot for even trivial application and utility
installations.

So stupid...

--
shannon / 4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820 2056 2054 434d 2048
-------'  4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53