[geeks] DST hell

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 11 11:06:23 CDT 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:36:20 -0400
Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> We require that on all of our database servers.  It's so we can back up
> >> their datafiles.
> >
> > Which databases are you using that require shutting down for this?
>
> Oracle.
>
> > Even MySQL can do live backups...
>
> That's fine if you're using a database-native method.  We're using both
> a database-native live export as well as a simple dump of the datafiles.
>
> It's just a "belt and suspenders" thing.  It takes marginally less time
> to restore the files, run a checksum, and bring it back up, than to set
> the database up and reimport.

OK, mainly just curious.

I've so far been using export for backups, and have been wondering if I
should be using the various "live" backup options.

I also back up the datafiles, but realize that they are often probably
useless.

Of course, there is currently no reason I could not do a shutdown at night,
backup, and then bring the server back up.

--
shannon / 4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820 2056 2054 434d 2048
-------'  4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53