[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 52, Issue 7

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:48:57 CST 2007

> From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
> >> We require that on all of our database servers.  It's so we can back up
> >> their datafiles.
> >
> > Which databases are you using that require shutting down for this?
>
> Oracle.
>
> > Even MySQL can do live backups...
>
> That's fine if you're using a database-native method.  We're using both
> a database-native live export as well as a simple dump of the datafiles.
>
> It's just a "belt and suspenders" thing.  It takes marginally less time
> to restore the files, run a checksum, and bring it back up, than to set
> the database up and reimport.

Up to 3 years ago (well, closing in on 4 years, what'da'ya know? ) I
had 2 databases  - one Ingres & on Oracle - That I could not trust to
back up properly if anyone was on them0. If I got back in the game, I
know I could not trust some vendor's promise...

But instead, I now drive OTR for Schnieder National & am far happier
overall than I ever was dealing with Windog daily.

Thank you, Lord, for the mercy of not having to assist anyone
"upgrading" to Vista.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.