[geeks] DST hell

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:36:20 CST 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> Seems poor form to require that your users always logout at night.
>> We require that on all of our database servers.  It's so we can back up
>> their datafiles.
>
> Which databases are you using that require shutting down for this?

Oracle.

> Even MySQL can do live backups...

That's fine if you're using a database-native method.  We're using both
a database-native live export as well as a simple dump of the datafiles.

It's just a "belt and suspenders" thing.  It takes marginally less time
to restore the files, run a checksum, and bring it back up, than to set
the database up and reimport.

Peace...  Sridhar