[geeks] DST hell

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Mar 10 10:00:39 CST 2007

On Mar 10, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Mike Hebel wrote:
>> Hell, you might even be able to do something useful with a Windows
>> server:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216734
>>
>> ;-)
>
> NTP uses UTC, the client still needs accurate DST tables ;)

Not if the server is a patched client and serves to the desktops.

You turn off DST on the desktops and they take the time from the local
authoritative server which is set to it's local clock but SETS it's
local clock per patched DST and ntp.

If we're dealing with Win-blows boxes you would:

1) Patch the PDC for DST.
2) Use ntp to set it's local clock.
3) Turn off DST on the desktops.
4) Use "net time" in the login scripts to set the local time to the
PDC.  (0)

Mike Hebel
(0) You _are_ making sure your users logout every night right?  Unless
of course you've got third-shift people that is.
----
"My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases
the mayfly known as love, for many, many moons now. There is no rest
for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning (I
quit after 3 seconds). In my search for peace, I also train diligently.
It is my mission to teach the precious value of peace to the children
who will one day own the world. I will say it again: My name is Vash
the Stampede. I am a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as
love."  - Vash