[geeks] DST hell

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:18:17 CST 2007

So, anyone else enjoying the fun of DST updates? (maybe that's why
it's so quiet here)

Like... Sun's late-breaking news that their Java updater actually
breaks the JVM for certain time zones (EST, HST, MST)...

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-102836-1

I'm so glad I saw that before our production updates today, especially
given that we're in EST.

I also just got an email from Tibco notifying that, when using
non-lenient date parsing(?), Sun Java versions 1.5+ will give an
"Unparseable date" exception when parsing dates like "2007-03-11
02:00:01", instead of just converting the date to "2007-03-11
03:00:01". I don't have a Sunsolve URL for that one, and have no idea
how it will impact our apps.

Fun!

Bryan