[geeks] Gastric bypass surgery

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Mar 7 12:06:13 CST 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 12:05:53PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

| Has anyone out there had gastric bypass surgery?

I had a friend who had gastric bypass surgery or something similar.
It wasn't the surgery where they stapled off part of your stomach --
instead they removed it completely and you had a little thumb-sized
pouch for a stomach or something.

Well, it worked for her.  She lost weight very quickly, and went from
really overweight (350-400 lbs?) to downright skinny.  She was very
happy with it.

... but it didn't really stop.  She never looked good, and while I
think she'd stopped the weight loss, she was still too skinny and sort
of looked like `death warmed over' for quite some time.

She also had all sorts of problems with her digestive system after
that, and got addicted to pain medication for the ulcers and such she
got (I don't know the specifics) and spent a lot of time in the
hospital.

And in one hospital visit, she was having really really bad ulcers or
something, she died.  I think she was in the hospital for dehydration,
but died from too much morphine (though she'd gotten a normal amount,
something kept it from leaving her body or something.)

Technically the surgery didn't directly cause her death, but
indirectly it certainly did.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
SIZZLE!  YOU HAVE JUST BEEN DESALINATED INTO A BLOB OF QUIVERING PROTOPLASM!
HOWEVER, YOU MAY TRY AGAIN WITH ANOTHER LIFE.