[geeks] Windows NT and PPC Macintosh computers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Mar 6 08:48:52 CST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:47:18PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I know there were several Alpha processor versions released, and a MIPS
> version under development. Was there ever a PPC version?

Yes.

> Was it released to the public? What did it run on? Did it run on
> any Macintoshs?

It was released to the public.  I believe it ran on the PowerStack and
some IBM systems, as well as some other systems made just for Windows
NT, such as the IPC PowerPlay or FirePower MX.   Mainly they said it
required a PReP machine, although I would imagine that bit more was
required than just that.

There was another machine that I wish I could remeber the name of for
certain.  It was targeted at digital content creation.  The name was
NetSomething, and they had some silkscreened artwork on their cases.  In
my mind at the time, they revialed InterGraph for coolness.  On the one
hand, the company I can't remeber wasn't PC based and had cool cases, on
the other hand, Intergraph had those lovely graphics cards and SDI IO in
the StudioZ machine.  I believe that at the time SoftImage was ported to
multiple NT hardware platforms.