[geeks] Sun Solaris VMware "image" from Sun

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 28 11:39:24 CDT 2007

Hello all,

Just started playing with VMware a bit more, and stumbled across these "official" Sun VMware images:

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/downloads/solaris_apps/index.jsp

(down towards bottom of page)

I downloaded the Solaris 10 11/06 image, and it went pretty good, except a few gotchas:

23??x17?? default screen resolution - an edit of /etc/X11/xorg.conf fixed that (deleted all the huge modelines)

the networking is configured as "nat" should probably be "bridged" in most cases ("nat" can only communicate with host OS, "bridged" essentially reaches out to host PC Ethernet connection) - edit .vmx config file, replacing "nat" with "bridged"

You have to run "sys-unconfig" to get useful networking configuration (or monkey with various config files...)

VMware Player 2.0 is really good, it allowed me to mount a USB "key" and access the files easily, and the X11 session offers greater than 256 color support...

On a Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop with Celeron 1.6 GHz, 1.25 Gig RAM and big HD performance is quite decent for desktop use...

For some reason I've had problems getting a good Solaris install under VMware (how to config sound, net, video always turned into a problem) - this just works, given the above caveats...

Lionel