[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 27 11:17:19 CDT 2007

> Personally, 64bit XP is pretty quirky and i didn't like it, it was more
> of a downgrade than an upgrade.  64bit Vista is much more cohesive, in
> fact, i would say that if you want to run 64bit windows, run Vista.  If
> you have 3gb of ram and a nice video card, it should perform
> acceptably.  No, i'm not trying to flamebait here, i used 64bit xp for
> about a week before i got tired of it.  I've been running 64 bit Vista
> on my laptop for work since it was released in November, and it doesn't
> have those problems.  Granted, you'll NEED that 3GB of ram if you run
> Vista.

Personally, I disagree that 64-bit XP is that quirky anymore (*certainly*
not as quirky as Vista), especially since Service Pack 2 came out for
64-bit XP a couple of months ago, and I prefer it over 32-bit XP or any
flavour of Vista.  I've been running 64-bit XP for about a year on two
home computers (one Core 2 Duo, one Opteron).

- Nate