[geeks] NAS storage opinions and bitching wanted

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Jun 26 01:32:55 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
[chatter about Hammer Storage myshare NAS]

>> As sweet as they may be, if you can't hack it to provide subversion or
>> rsync...
>
> Yeah... it might happen in time since they seem similar to the DNS-323,
> with a few more features.
>
> I could wait a bit I suppose, and see what happens.

Indeed they can be hacked.

I ran across this review earlier today (um yesterday), and through a
root hole you can enable telnet:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30056/75/1/5/

Incidentally that site is a must read for anyone looking at a pre-built
NAS, the reviewers test them against a variety of client OSes.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com