[geeks] NAS storage opinions and bitching wanted

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 25 22:33:35 CDT 2007

>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>Date: 2007/06/25 Mon PM 07:55:47 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] NAS storage opinions and bitching wanted

>>From: Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
>>Date: 2007/06/25 Mon PM 02:11:12 CDT
>>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>Subject: Re: [geeks] NAS storage opinions and bitching wanted
>
>>> Antec NSK2400 case: $99
>>> Asus P5B-VM motherboard: $125
>>> Intel Celeron 420 Conroe, $45
>>> 1GB Kingston ValueRam: 46
>>> pair of 500GB Barracudas: $240.
>>>
>>> Total cost around $556.

Bad form to reply to my own post, but on a lark, I put together a nice, quiet server for just over $400:

Antec Sonata III case (quiet, 4 internal bay, eSATA on front, etc.) - $98
(see: http://www.provantage.com/YANTG04H.htm )

Intel BOXDG965WHMKR motherboard (6 SATA, GMA 3000, Gigabit Ethernet) - $116
(see: http://www.provantage.com/YITEM0E0.htm )

Intel 631 CPU - 3.0 GHz, 2 MB cache, HT, EN64T, 775 socket, cooler - $62
(see: http://www.provantage.com/YITEP2E0.htm )

2 Gig PC2-6400 RAM - $104
(see:http://www.provantage.com/YOCZT00V.htm )

DVD-RW Double Layer - $31
(see: http://www.provantage.com/YASUC0AC.htm )

2x 500 Gig SATA HDs - $220

Total: $631 (plus shipping/handling/taxes)

That would be a serious machine, very quiet, well cooled, and full-featured... For exactly your new limit ;^)

Just did it to see how I would build a system for such a purpose (and I just saw the new Antec Sonata III case, and that got me started).

Lionel