[geeks] Sinclair games hidden in LPs?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 21 10:15:43 CDT 2007

>From: Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/06/21 Thu AM 09:57:43 CDT
>To: "(LIST) The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Sinclair games hidden in LPs?

>Has anyone else heard about this, or actually played one from an LP?
>
>>From Kotaku:
><http://kotaku.com/gaming/oddities/games-hidden-in-the-grooves-of-lps-270155.php>
>
>"Most of these hidden games were written for the Sinclair Spectrum
>home computer, which is probably why I never experienced the Thompson
>Twins game first hand. To play the game you had to record the proper
>section of the record onto a tape and then use a tape recorder to load
>the game into the computer."

This was once, briefly, common - not as a "hidden" game,but as a way for magazine publishers to mail software ready to load along with their magazines, just as the TRS-80 and other "consumer" PCs were hitting the market...

Kilobaud did it for a while, but it never really caught on. They included "flexible" phonographs (a sheet of thin plastic with a groove on it), and you taped a penny on the "floppy" (to give it weight), and played the phonograph into the cassette interface of your system.

Lionel