[geeks] tape backup, revisited

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Sat Jun 16 19:54:27 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 02:48:34PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

| >> I just posted about the Quantum GoVault, but I misread the media cost.
| >> It's $104 each, not $14 like I thought.  Damn, I knew it was too good to
| >> be true.
| >
| > You can *almost* buy 500G SATA drives for $104 nowdays.
|
| Funny how things keep repeating.  We're nearly back to the age of using
| removable disk packs for near-line storage.

What do you mean *almost* ?  We've been there for years.

Pay a little extra for a USB enclosure for that drive, and you've got
an external backup solution that's really fast, gives random access,
and doesn't require $1000+ tape drives.  If you're on a budget, you
can skip the USB enclosure, but it's convenient to not be pulling
drives out of enclosures.

And the media is cheaper than anything I'm aware of short of DVD-Rs
(and 4.5 GB/pop is hard to deal with.)  Are there *any* tape solutions
where you can get 500 GB of media for $110?

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.