[geeks] SATA RAID

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 14 15:55:51 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/06/14 Thu PM 03:28:01 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] SATA RAID

>I have this SCSI RAID "box" that talks over one F/W SCSI channel up to
>the host, and to three channels full of disk.
>
>I'd like to switch to SATA for reasons of speed, cost, power and noise.
>  Does anyone know of a similar "box" that talks over a SATA channel to
>the host and something like four SATA drives?
>
>If push comes to shove, I suppose I could use a PCIe SAS RAID controller
>and a bunch of external SATA disk.

They make these for Mac systems, they combine several SATA drives into one eSATA connection, and have provisions for JBOD, RAID0 and RAID1 (maybe RAID10, not sure)...

I saw them a while ago, thought I posted a link on this list (or rescue) - maybe try a search of the mailist archives?

I think the conversation had to do with SATA "concentrators", but that may be my imagination...

Lionel