[geeks] Modem Sniffer

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 13 14:14:02 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/06/13 Wed PM 01:46:55 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Modem Sniffer

>Does anyone make a v.90/v.92 modem sniffer?  i.e. you plug your modem
>into it, and then you plug it into your phone line and it produces a
>copy of both the inbound and outbound data-streams?

I've not heard of such a device, and I'd have to wonder the benefits vs. capturing the conversation when the modem connects to the terminal device (terminal, modem, system, etc.)?

I've seen "taps" that allow you to monitor phone calls to an audio device (popular in IVRS shops to keep tabs on phone line usage/status), but I have to wonder how a three-way modem connection would sync up... As I understand it, the series of tones you hear before the modems consider themselves "connected" are negotiations to determine speed and feature sets supported.

Here is a link ot an organization that might be able to help (if your needs are great enough to warrant hiring out the job): http://www.skutchelectronics.com/

The only way I could see this working would be to have two modems connected back to back, and tap off the serial interconnect between the two...

I'm curious about the application - mind sharing details?

Lionel