[geeks] Windows drive->drive backup

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 10 19:00:10 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Phil Brutsche wrote:
>> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> I need to install a backup for someone using Windows.
>>>
>>> It needs to be a drive->drive backup.
>>> Cost $50 or less if at all possible.
>> Acronis True Image 10 Home, $50 US
>>
>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>>
>> Full disk imaging, lets you mount images to restore individual files,
>> stores disk images on a dedicated "secure zone" partition or FTP server,
>> etc.
>
> Yeah, it's great for disk imaging, but as far as I know it will not run
> without a user being logged in, and you can't just pick files and back them up.
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough:
>
> 	- needs to do drive->drive
> 	- needs to let me pick what to archive
> 	- needs to run without a user being logged in
>
> I see a ton of backup software, and some of it seems to have a lot of really
> neat features, but so far it all needs someone to be logged in to start it
> running.

I believe the entire Bacula system, including the Director, can now run
on Windows.  It is automated, unattended, and can back up to disk
volumes (then later migrate them to tape or optical media if desired).

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.