[geeks] monitoring traffic on my switched LAN

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 10 11:44:36 CDT 2007

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2007, at 16:16, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> I need to do traffic monitoring on my LAN.
>>
>> However, I use a 3Com SS 3300XM switch these days.
>>
>> On my old switch, I used the MDI port to sniff all LAN traffic using a
>> hub, but this switch doesn't have one.
>>
>> It can do port mirroring, but only one port at a time.  It doesn't
>> have
>> an MDI connector, rather it uses a high-density connector to talk to
>> other units in its "stack" family.
>>
>> It is supposed to support RMON and SNMP, but so far I've found no
>> way to
>> sniff traffic using either.
>>
>> Anyone know a trick I might try to get what I want?
>
> On networks that you don't own, you can do ARP spoofing to become the
> gateway machine, but since the network is yours, can you do the
> sniffing on your router? (Obviously this will only catch traffic that
> goes through the router to/from the internet, not all LAN traffic.)

Well, the router is a Snapgear unit, embedded.  It has very limited capture
ability because it has little internal storage.

The switch supports RMON and SNMP, but I have no idea how to gather traffic
data from a source like that.

I also imagine I could no longer use standard tools for that.

Not a huge issue, I just miss being able to track network usage, and
occasionally found it useful.

--
shannon           | The grieving lords take ship.  With these our very souls