[geeks] WANTED: ADT software for Apple IIgs on 3.5" floppy

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 6 01:23:58 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:58:47AM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I don't remember, but I thought that if you put in a blank 800k floppy
> or selected erase disk from the special menu, it was an option.

Since digging out a 680x0 Mac was going to be a long project, I
took a PPC laptop (1400cs) running Macos 7.6.1 I had within easy
reach and put a 1.4m floppy in it. It had a DOS (as in PC) system
on it, and it read it fine. I tried to erase the disk and was given
severl 1.4m options.  I covered the density hole with electrical tape
and put it back in. I got the usual "this disk is unreadable" message
and was given the option to eject it, or intialize it. The initalization
options were "Macintosh 800k", "Dos 720k" and "ProDos 800k".

I replaced it with a real 880k floppy and

I selected ProDos 800k. It did it and the disk mounts on the desktop
with a floppy icon with the Roman numeral "II" on it.

I installed DiskDup+ and it was unable to read it as a MacOS disk,
but allowed me to read it as an for duplication. It did not
allow me to save it as an image file, but that may have been my
ignorance or not having registered it.

I then opened disk copy 7.0 (6.1.3 is werid and should not be used
for this) and made an image of the disk.

I then started DiskDup+, loaded the image and put the floppy back in.
DiskDup+ wrote the image to the disk and verified it. I closed DiskDup+
and put the floppy back in the drive. It mounts on the desktop with a
"II" on the icon.

So the short answer is to intialize an 800k floppy in ProDos mode using
a MacOS 7 system. Once you've done that, you can use diskcopy or
DiskDup+ to create as many blank floppies as you want.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838