[geeks] One of the Benefits of Dell Ubuntu offering (IMHO ;^)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 5 09:53:07 CDT 2007

Hello all,

Just came across this listing at a "deal" website I frequent - Dell Ubunti desktop for $249 (plus shipping - if you upgrade with $70 or more of upgrades, the $30 shipping fee is waived), and it is pretty nice:

Dual core Pentium D 925 (2x 3.0 GHz, 2x 2Meg cache, 65nm)
1024 Gig RAM (DDR2-667, 2x 512 Meg DIMMs)
80 Gig SATA HD
DVD reader
built-in Intel GMA3000 graphics (ATI & nVideo upgrades available)
No OS

Link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bdcwaen&s=bsd

That is a very capable desktop machine - fairly similar to the latest desktop I built up, and that CPU is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination (IMHO)...

Anyway, just a note - that price is very close to "retail" hardware prices if you shop for deals and exclude shipping costs... (I bought the same CPU for $88 and was quite pleased with that price, it was for a retail CPU with a CPU cooler. Add $75 in RAM, a $40 Sata drive, and a $25 DVD player and you are at $222 and you still need to add the case, and motherboard)

Lionel