[geeks] Subject: Re: Microsoft Surface...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:45:40 CDT 2007

On 3 Jun 2007, at 18:19, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>> For example, this Microsoft optical mouse I'm using rocks.  And it
>> was
>> only like $15.  Which products did they go out of their way to
>> make it
>> not work with?  Not sure -- the same model certainly works fine on my
>> Mac.
>
> That's hardware based upon standards they have no control over,
> since they
> didn't design and didn't build it.

That's so much BS it's not true. I mean sure they are built to
industry standards. As a lot of Linux distro's prove you can stick to
'standards' in a variety of ways, some of which are truly terrible :P

There are 1001 Taiwanese companies out there that make mice to
exactly the same standards (actually some don't stick to proper HID
standards but that's another tale) that, one way or another,
completely suck. Some of them even cost more than Microsoft's mice,
which is frankly just a sick joke. The fact is that Microsft design
mice that are of a good build quality and feel, are ergonomically
very good it use, and they keep on trucking.

Even if some don't suit lefties, they do still do make decent
symmetrical mice, unlike some other makers. In fact if you are going
to pull the 'they don't like lefies' card then look no further than
Logitech. Their mice are HUGELY more right-handed biased and they
probably tried at one time or another sell you the same crap as MS.
Moreover I don't see any lines about MS's current non-symmetrical
mice being 'great for left-handed folks too!' either (I'll gladly
view any evidence to the contrary if yo can present it though).

If I buy mice for me or anyone else at work I only ever buy from MS.
There's no substitute in marketing for good product experience.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>