[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

William Kirkland bill.kirkland at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 15:20:49 CDT 2007

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:42:27 -0500
From: Doug McLaren <dougmc at frenzied.us>
Subject: Re: [geeks] Subject: Re:  Microsoft Surface...

 > On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 08:51:57PM -0700, William Kirkland wrote:
 > | Microsoft products are crap, because Microsoft imposes limitations
 > | used to ensure that their products are not compatible with similar
 > | products.  Microsoft has not provided innovation, only marketing.
 > |
 > | ... so yes, Apple who does innovation is received with awe and
wonder.

 > Wow.  Those are some remarkably broad brushes you're painting
 > Microsoft and Apple with.

Yes, I did ... and similar to another discussion on this board, I too
feel that profiling is appropriate. Including it's use when comparing
the ethics and products a company produces especially the how ...

Microsoft tends to acquire a company with a particular piece of
technology they find interesting. Apple tends to invent and design.
Sun also has a much better tendency to invent rather than acquire
technology.

 > Microsoft has done some pretty remarkable things over the years.  And
 > so has Apple.  And both have done some pretty underwhelming things
 > over the years as well.

Yes, they have marketed well. You are proof of that.

 > As for Microsoft deliberately making their products aren't compatible
 > with competitor's products, that's really only true for a small
subset
 > of their rather large product lines -- and I'm not even sure it's
 > really been *proven* rather than just theorized anyways.

Others have already posted a partial list of things Microsoft has
done to "help" technology along ... and I may have missed it, but I
did not notice anything indicating the great leaps backward Microsoft
attempted with Microsoft Java ... as I recall the first paragraph of
the java specification REQUIRED that the code be cross platform
compatible, yet Microsoft's implementation would not run on any
platform except another Microsoft platform.

I think that qualifies as deliberate ...

Maybe you would rather talk about the lame gui that Microsoft
uses ... I personally do not see that much difference with it an
Apples, but when compared to X11 the Microsoft gui SUCKS! ... when
was the last time you started your application on one system and used
an entirely different system for the i/o on an entirely different
system? That capability has existed in the X11 gui since it's inception.

 > For example, this Microsoft optical mouse I'm using rocks.  And it
was
 > only like $15.  Which products did they go out of their way to
make it
 > not work with?  Not sure -- the same model certainly works fine on my
 > Mac.

While I do not know off hand who first developed an optical mouse,
the first ones I saw were out long before Microsoft thought of an
optical mouse.

Oh, what about SCSI ... that was such a nice decision to go with
IDE ... today, we are still limited to two disk drives on each bus.
Microsoft chose IDE because Apple was suggesting SCSI. The only
reason that IDE is cheap, compared to SCSI, is the quantity of sales.
*IF* Microsoft would have shifted when they saw their decision to be
less than optimal, we could have 256 devices on one SCSI bus,
including the use of multiple computers on that same bus.

 > --
 > Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us     Life - Sexually transmitted,
always > > fatal

I like your signature.