[geeks] Subject: Re: Microsoft Surface...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:51:49 CDT 2007

On 3 Jun 2007, at 05:42, Doug McLaren wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 08:51:57PM -0700, William Kirkland wrote:
>
> | Microsoft products are crap, because Microsoft imposes limitations
> | used to ensure that their products are not compatible with similar
> | products.  Microsoft has not provided innovation, only marketing.
> |
> | ... so yes, Apple who does innovation is received with awe and
> wonder.
>
> Wow.  Those are some remarkably broad brushes you're painting
> Microsoft and Apple with.

At last, someone I agree with :)

> Microsoft has done some pretty remarkable things over the years.  And
> so has Apple.  And both have done some pretty underwhelming things
> over the years as well.

I mean, who could forget the Mac Performa (a whole series of pretty
much equally terrible machines)... or Microsoft BOB :o)

> As for Microsoft deliberately making their products aren't compatible
> with competitor's products, that's really only true for a small subset
> of their rather large product lines -- and I'm not even sure it's
> really been *proven* rather than just theorized anyways.

Certain select products are usually only Windows compatible for a
reason, usually because the MAc or whatever has a better similar
product ;).

How many Microsoft UISB products do you pick up now that have Mac
specs as well as Windows ones on. I think every piecei of MS HARDWARE
I've bought in the last 5-6 years has worked on either. I mean they
even went right from the get-go to support the Mac with Silverlight
(another stoiry in itself).

> For example, this Microsoft optical mouse I'm using rocks.

I have more MS mice than any other brand. I hate Logitech mice
because they never fit my hands *I have odd shaped hands that don't
like grossly mono-handed mice). I've never had a problem with
Microsoft ones.

> And it was only like $15.

I managed tot talk my boss into getting a MS Intellimouse Explorer
4.0 for my desk at work and that only cost about 20GBP.

> Which products did they go out of their way to make it not work
> with?  Not sure -- the same model certainly works fine on my Mac.

First thing I did when I got my Mac Pro setup was plug in my trusty
old Intellimouse Explorer (original 2000 Vintage). I've been using it
so long most of the silver paint has worn off. It's still the vest
mouse I've ever had - and it's been through hell.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>