[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 2 21:50:20 CDT 2007

Doug McLaren wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 04:34:38PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
> | The worst part of my recent trip to California, in that regard, was the
> | trip home.  Just after I'd moved through the "security" line, I saw a
> | wheelchair-bound man in his 80s or 90s wearing a 2nd Infantry Division
> | WWII badge and an olive drab cover with all sorts of pins attached.
> |
> | ...being hand-searched from top-to-bottom by TSA.
> |
> | Did I mention that flight was Memorial Day morning?
>
> Does it matter?
>
> If it became known that the TSA people won't search people in uniform,
> or won't search senior citizens, or won't search people in
> wheelchairs, then the terrorists would take advantage of this.

How many white, veteran, senior citizens have been terrorists?

Think a moment: how effective is any kind of technique if over 90% of the time
you apply it to the wrong target?

The current way the USA is fighting terrorism is like fighting an enemy army
by shooting at your own soldiers.

> I'm not saying I'm not appalled at how things are, but I do understand
> that you can't treat people specially just because it's memorial day.

It has nothing to do with being treated "special", it has to be with effective
use of limited resources.

Spending them on the 1% probability and ignoring the 99% probability is not a
winning game.

--
shannon           | We have nothing to prove.