[geeks] QUESTION: RJ45 -> RS-232, using CAT5 cable

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Fri Jun 1 07:57:53 CDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:08:27PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> What do you guys think about the Yosh serial standard?
>
> The claim is that it eliminates 6 of the top ten RS-232 hassles.
>
> Anyone ever look at it?

I use it at home. It really does make connecting things less painful.
I've been able to find cheap flat 4 pair cables that are already wired
correctly. Using the flat cable also makes it obvious what is a ethernet
cable and what is a console cable. I really like not having to keep a
stash of gender changers, db-9-db-25 adapters, etc. around.

Some negatives.

As written, it doesn't deal with serial ports that present as RJ-45
already (such as some Suns, Cisco equipment, etc). For instance the Netra
105 (IIRC) is perfectly opposite, thus requiring a different adapter
than you'd expect on the far end. OTOH, I don't imagine that it would
be hard to put together an adapter for common pinouts.

Making the connectors is boring. Even if you use DB-25 - RJ-45 snap
adapters you still have to solder two wires together in each adapter.
Not hard, just mind-numbing.

Years ago I supported about 100 slowly dying serial terminals of various
brands and models. I *hated* having to pin things everything out, make
special adapters, thinking about DTE vs. DCE, etc. With the Yost system
I do all the work first (making a bunch of standard adapters) then things
just *work*.

Jody