[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Jul 31 18:50:01 CDT 2007

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 03:41:14AM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
>> Well, the only main difference between say, Toyota.com, and Toyota's
>> sim in Second Life, is that their sim in Second Life is in 3D. Both
>> are business-related. How is it that someone who develops Toyota's
>> area in Second Life is anymore a "gamer" than the person who makes
>> Toyota's website (using 2D and flash)?
>
> The only reason they (and numerous other companies) have a presence in SL is
> because some market droid saw an article about it in Wired, and said "HAY
> GUYS WE NEED A SECOND LIFE PRESENCE!><#<>!#>!! WEB TWO DOT OH NEW MEDIA
> AVATAR VIRTUAL REALITY BUZZWORD"
>
> Bill

I have a vague recollection of similar talk way back 1993 or 1994 about
web sites.

I am not convinced that SL is the wave of the future - it reminds me of
CompuServe.  Closed and proprietary is not the way to bet or so says the
lessons learned from the past fifteen years.

I want 'a' website I put one up at my house. Or I have it hosted for a
few bucks a month.  I want a site in Second Life ... I must login to
Linden Lab's server.  That's no way to build the future.

Where is the Apache counterpart to SL?

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod