[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 31 08:47:19 CDT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 07:35:54 -0400
Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> In World of Warcraft (for example), Blizzard strongly, actively and
> determinedly discourages the sale of WoW items or gold for real cash
> money, because it messes with the virtual economy in the game when
> players can just go buy 50,000 gold.  They terminate accounts on mere
> SUSPICION of it.  I know someone who had his account terminated for
> loaning his girlfriend 800 gold for an epic mount.  You yourself
> acknowledge that the "money" you make in EVE Online isn't real.
>
> Second Life people make REAL SPENDABLE INCOMES that they can live on.

People make real income playing all kinds of games, not just the ugly and
complicated game called Second Life.  There are persistent game worlds
where people use it as their only source of income.

SL is a game.  I can't understand why the fact that is has some extra rules
on top of it, and its interface sucks, somehow makes it less of a game.

Call it a simulation if it sounds better for some reason.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto