[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 31 04:33:05 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 02:12:05AM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
> Second Life on the other hand is simply a 3D version of the internet.
> Toyota for example has a site where they can demonstrate products in
> the virtual space. Real life bands hold virtual concerts there to
> expand their fan bases. Trade organizations have educational spaces
> there. Universities have research facilities set up. It's not a game,
> get over that idea.

I think the problem has to do with understanding the difference between
a simulation and a game. It's been blured by the fact that someone won a
Nobel prize for "game theory" applied to business and almost overnight
every business professor was publishing something about game theory, and
all other simulations became games because people wanted to get their
Noble prize too.

Second life is a simulation. It provides access to things that
people would do in "the real world", but it is not IMHO a game.
It's a mall that was built in the Internet instead of out by the
toxic waste dump. :-) It's no more a game than a mall was a game
of a downtown shopping district.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838