[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 30 22:50:31 CDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:33:30 -0700
Jon Gilbert <jjj at io.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
> > Ah, video games.
> >
> > For some reason, when you mentioned OpenGL, I thought you might be
> > trying to get work done.  Sorry, but I'm wholly clueless about getting
> > better performance out of games.
>
> What games? What are you talking about?
>
> Apparently you don't know what Second Life is. So I'll educate you.
> It's a 3D virtual reality persistent world. It's not a game; there's
> no "objectives," "points," "lives," or any other characteristics of
> games. The only similarity between it and a game, is the fact that it
> is in 3D and you have an avatar that represents you within that world.

[ huge rant snipped ]

In other words, it is a game.  A complicated one, but still a game.

I have played, I mean, used persistent worlds powered by Neverwinter nights
that had the same characteristics.

You can write programs, design parts of the world, create parts of the world,
participate in internal agencies like government, police, armies, guilds,
etc, and there are no defined goals or anything.

Does that mean that Neverwinter Nights isn't a game any more?

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto