[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:38:16 CDT 2007

On 30 Jul 2007, at 05:29, Jon Gilbert wrote:

> The NVIDIA 8600M GT drivers for OS X are *utter crap!!!!* Probably
> because OS X will not have multithreaded OpenGL (or 2.1) until 10.5.

I have no specific experience with the 8600MGT but my guess would be
that it's due to the huge change in architecture over the 7xxx series
that's causing an issue, if one exists (I have to say I'm skeptical -
see below). The first Windows drivers for the 8x00 cars were down
right terrible too, but they got some practice in on gamers, Apple
have only had a few months with this hardware in the mainstream to
get the drivers up to speed. These things take time...

> For example Second Life runs 2x faster on Windows Vista than on OS X,
> and I can force the drivers to do anti-aliasing in it because there's
> actually an NVIDIA Control Panel for Vista unlike OS X (for which
> there is none). I hear in Ubuntu it's even faster. So there you go.

An Second Life is supposed to be a fine and definitive example of
great programming? Oh please...

> PS -- I'm on a laptop, so I can't add a second drive.

I think I was the only one who noticed. In fact I don't think anyone
even read my post as about 4 people re-mentioned all the stuff I did
after I posted :\

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: