[geeks] Managed gigabit switch recommendations for the home?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Jul 30 13:26:50 CDT 2007

> Most of my machines are gigabit, but my switch is an older 3Com
> SuperStack, and new switches worth having are more than I wanted to pay
> right now.
>
> If anyone has recommendations for good gigaswitches that aren't expensive,
> I'm all ears.

I'm assuming you're interested in managed switches, and I recently was
interested in the same thing, did some initial looking, and thought this
might be ok for a home network managed gigabit switch, but don't have any
experience with it:

HP J9029A 10/100/1000Mbps ProCurve Switch 1800-8G $154
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316053

Anyone with any thoughts/experience?  On paper it looks good to me because
it is managed, it doesn't have any fans so wouldn't be noisy on a desk,
and has an ok number of ports for the price.

- nate