[geeks] Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Sat Jul 28 16:11:48 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 08:26:22PM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
> OK So I have a MacBook Pro with 10.4.10 and Vista (in Bootcamp). I
> was thinking of also making a Ubuntu partition... to try it out. But
> how? Is it possible to make a third partition that you can boot
> Ubuntu with if you have already a bootcamp partition? Just wondering,
> since I've never done anything with Linux before.

rEFIt makes for a good boot selector to select which partition to boot
into. Google for instructions on how to create the partitions at
OS X command line. There are good instructions for installing ubuntu on
the ubuntuforums, which can be found after easy googling as well.

One word of warning - you cannot have both a linux swap partition and a
windows partition together. Because you have a sort of hybrid
combination of both a DOS partition map and EFI you can only
have 4 partitions, and two of these partitions are taken up by
OS X already. I guess others can explain it better than me late on a
Saturday night. But the end result is that you'll have to run swap off a
swap file for linux.

Cheers,
Jonathan.