[geeks] Whee! SATA 1.0 controller in P3 system...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 27 14:21:45 CDT 2007

Hello all,

I just threw a very inexpensive PIC SATA 1.0 (150 MB/sec) 2 channel controller (1 internal, 1 external eSATA), and the performance of this little 1 GHz P3 system with 512 Meg RAM really improved. Nothing measurable (yet), but it seems "snappier" than with the 20 Gig 6 year old WD IDE drive.

Anyone have pointers to HD performance benchmark tests? I'd prefer something that runs under WinXP (what is currently on the system, but I'm happy to try something under Solaris/Ubuntu if that appeals to anyone).

As an aside, this is on a Dell Optiplex GX150 SFF, like the ones I'm trying to get rid of - hint, hint ;^)

Lionel