[geeks] Cisco's new "smart" switches

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Jul 27 11:32:57 CDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 11:45 AM, James Fogg wrote:

>> What the hell is happening to Cisco?  Are they getting
>> Fiorina'ed or something?
>
> Smells like Linksys. Maybe they allowed a Linksys engineer or product
> development person to infect the regular Cisco groups.

Linksys had a "pro" line of switches, all of which were crap, from
what I could tell.

Seems like this switch might be a re-badged one of these.

Telling point:  auto MDIX on all ports. Second telling point: no
command line.

No Cisco I have ever dealt with in the past had this, you simply had
to have either a straight-through or a crossover cable.  And I cannot
think of a Cisco switch product that did not have some way to get to
a CLI.

--Patrick