[geeks] Posting from another list I thouyght worth sharing.

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Jul 27 08:34:41 CDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:37:02 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I saw the following message on a local (not computer related)
> mailing list:
>
> > I am in need of a *professional* computer person who may be able to
> > give me an idea of whether he can fix a particular problem or not
>
> I would answer him, but my crystal ball is stuck on the "little girl,
> small dog" channel. :-)

Oh I could *fix* his computer without knowing anything more as he
hasn't specified that it be working after the fix. If fixing something
can mean changing a problematic thing to a known state ... 'smashed to
bits with a sledgehammer' is quite a good known state. Some people
would be far happier if they never touched a computer again and this
sounds like one of them.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 ... a software firewall is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.