[geeks] installing raw OS images using PXEboot

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 26 17:46:24 CDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Not to be annoying, but what OS? Windows has tools to do this (for
> windows images, of course), and I think Solaris can be convinced to do
> this as well... I think the solution you need will be tied to the OS
> you want to run.

At $ork, we use syslinux (which doesn't require Linux--it's loaded over
TFTP) and boot whatever.  To image the winboxes we load a 10MB MS-DOS
ramdisk with ghost and the MS LAN manager client.  To image the Linux
boxes, we use syslinux to load Kickstart.  To image anything else, we
use syslinux to load an NFS-rooted FreeBSD miniroot that dds an image
onto the disk.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us