[geeks] Moving Stuff

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 26 12:41:37 CDT 2007

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2007/07/26 Thu AM 11:46:47 CDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Moving Stuff

>" From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com>
>"
>" My aunt is moving from Bend, Oregon to Fort Meyers, Florida.  She has
>" around 1,000 pounds of 'stuff' to move, and her wee little Ford Focus
>" might not be up to the task of towing that much over the Rockies.*
>"
>" A local shipper quoted her $3,000 which seems a bit much.
>"
>" What cost effective options do we have for shipping her goods?  The
>" cargo can take it's time getting there.
>
>just an option - rent a small box truck and tow dolly and haul the lot
>herself.

At 89 cents/mile (U-Haul, Enterprise, et al), I don't think this would be much of a savings (the distance is near 3,000 miles AFAIK, OR -> FL)...

Sample U-Haul rates (from OR to FL):
 - 10 Foot truck would cost $3,117
 - 17 Foot truck would be $3,351

And, you get the joy of packing/un-packing the truck yourself!

Lionel