[geeks] 16-bit 802.11g cards?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 24 21:41:57 CDT 2007

>From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
>Date: 2007/07/24 Tue PM 02:55:05 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] 16-bit 802.11g cards?

>On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:39:11PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> That specification sheet claims that the laptop supports Cardbus, which
>> is the 32-bitness you're looking for.
>
>You'd think so, but, my 32-bit 802.11g Netgear card (WG5111) won't "snap" in, unlike the
>16-bit 802.11b Netgear card (MA401) that came with it.
>
>It's like there's something inside that's blocking it from snapping in
>or something. I'm not a PC guy, so, I'm not entirely sure.

I can't speak to your particular laptop/wifi card issues, but when I put my P233 MMX Laptop on my wireless network, I had a few cards that didn't "go all the way" in the slot. I had a similar problem with Ethernet cards. I suspect the issue has to do with voltage requirements:

http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm#slot

I eventually found cards that worked/fit... It either takes some trial and error OR a lot of research to find the right cards for a given laptop...

Lionel