[geeks] Fun compariosn between Mac Plus and AMD Dual Core PC

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Jul 20 13:22:15 CDT 2007

>> There's a very perverse processor upgrade module for the 7200 that lives
>> on a PCI card.  The original processor boots Mac OS, and an INIT
>> identifies the add-in card, gets the main CPU's caches into a known
>> state, and then "pivots" the running system over to the faster
>> processor.
>
> Wow.  That's pretty strange.
>
> The only card-based processor upgrades I've ever used are MCA cards that
> just take over the bus.

If you think that's strange, how about the Radius Skylab project.  Never
made it to market, but picture a rack mount system with fourteen NuBus
slots filled with Radius Rocket 'accelerators' (really complete Mac
systems on a card, sans ROM), fifteen 3.5" drive bays, and four 5.25"
drive bays, booted/controlled by a Mac SE/30 as a console, and designed
for cluster computing/render farm type tasks.

- Nate