[geeks] Fun compariosn between Mac Plus and AMD Dual Core PC

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jul 20 11:39:40 CDT 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>> OOPs, sorry to dispoint you it's a PCI, that must make it a 7200.
>
> It's probably a bigger model than even that.  If memory serves, the 7200
> had its 90MHz processor soldered in.

The 7200 does have a fixed processor.  However, Apple sold the 7200 in
75MHz, 90MHz, and 120MHz variants.

There's a very perverse processor upgrade module for the 7200 that lives
on a PCI card.  The original processor boots Mac OS, and an INIT
identifies the add-in card, gets the main CPU's caches into a known
state, and then "pivots" the running system over to the faster
processor.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us