[geeks] Hello?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 18 18:43:14 CDT 2007

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> I can see a real difference in the local digital theater compared with "regular"
>> film - the real difference is when you get close to the screen, the the image
>> doesn't become a huge collection of coloed "blobs" - from a distance I suspect
>> you lose as much detail to distance as you gain from the higer resolution
>> possible.
>
> The real limit is the resolution of the person's eyes.  Of course there is an
> s-load of processing going on in the retina.
>
>> As for HD TV, when you get a clear signal (I'm on cable, and depending on
>> weather it varies), and you are viewing the TV within the "sweet spot" (not too
>> far off-center, TV at about eye-level) HD can be very impressive.
>
> Geez, sounds like when quadraphonic was trying to be popular.  Move a bit and
> lose the effect.

I think that may be TV-dependent.  My experience is that back-projection
 sets have a disappointingly narrow viewing angle.  On the other hand,
our Westinghouse Digital 42" LCD is excellent; the picture is bright,
sharp and clear from anywhere in the room, and full 1080i programming
(or better still, de-interlaced 1080p) can really look very, very good.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.