[geeks] Hello?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Jul 18 17:53:29 CDT 2007

> I can see a real difference in the local digital theater compared with "regular"
> film - the real difference is when you get close to the screen, the the image
> doesn't become a huge collection of coloed "blobs" - from a distance I suspect
> you lose as much detail to distance as you gain from the higer resolution
> possible.

The real limit is the resolution of the person's eyes.  Of course there is an
s-load of processing going on in the retina.

> As for HD TV, when you get a clear signal (I'm on cable, and depending on
> weather it varies), and you are viewing the TV within the "sweet spot" (not too
> far off-center, TV at about eye-level) HD can be very impressive.

Geez, sounds like when quadraphonic was trying to be popular.  Move a bit and
lose the effect.

>From what I've seen in the stores, I'm not impressed.  Of course they are
probably not idea setups but they should be! :)

> I'm about to hook up an "up-converting" DVD player I got the other day - it was
> cheap, but the theory is it will squeeze slightly better pictures off my non-HD
> DVDs - even if it doesn;t make a real difference, it will have a digital
> connection to my HD TV, not component/composite, and I think that is a good
> thing...

Hopefully...

> >Maybe I'll take Andy Rooney's job when he finially croaks.......
>
> Good luck with that... ;^)

He'll probably outlive me.

Bob