[geeks] Hello?

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Wed Jul 18 15:52:55 CDT 2007

francois.dion at gmail.com writes:

>Now, I can have the privilege to pay a much higher admission fee (and
>$5+ soda) and get no better than a home theater setup (2K wide in most
>digital movie theaters, 4K in certain areas). Progress...

A friend of mine is getting a 4K video camera soon, and invited me
to come experiment with it when it arrives. Should be interesting.

>DVDs are probably the only area where we have gained something, for
>those of us who are multilingual: buy one movie and get english,
>french and spanish (for example) soundtracks for the same price.

Ah... I just bought a DVD of Fantastic Planet that's French-only.
No subtitles, no dubbing. I understand about 1/4 of what they say,
but I know the movie well enough that it doesn't matter.

It's amazing how many obscure films have been released on DVD (I
have both the 1913 AND the 1927 versions of Student of Prague!  And
Tarkovsky's senior project from film school!) but occasionally some
things are impossible to get. Fantastic Planet, Jodorowsky until a
few months ago, Decline of Western Civilization, etc., etc. I had
to make my DVD player region-free recently to watch something not
available as a region-1 DVD.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------------- "I love my after school club!" - Funky Forest --------------