[geeks] Hello?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 18 13:30:03 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:03:13 +0000
wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> I agree.  I have't been impressed with high definition TV, a lot of the
> digital audio and digital cell phones.  Maybe I've got lousy vision and
> worse hearing but I don't see (and hear) that much better to justify the
> cost. Maybe it's from all those years of ham radio where I had to learn to
> mentally cut (or ignore) the noise.

...or maybe your hearing is very good.

My digital cell phone has never sounded as good as my older analog one, and
the artifacts that seem to be ever present in digital audio and video
broadcasts can quickly ruin a movie or song.

It's obviously a lot easier to work with digital media (*) but it's still
quite young and immature compared to the best analog media.

*
I am assuming you don't have to deal with DRM and other deliberately
crippling of the format.  Also incredibly annoying is the vast ton of mostly
redundant or crappy digital formats.  Most are highly redundant, or just
absolute crap.

We need to reduce the number of formats, and personally, all of the DRM and
DRM-ish crap just needs to go.  DRM quickly eliminates the primary advantage
of digital media: its easy use and manipulation.  Without that, I really
don't give a damn about it, so DRM has to go.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto