[geeks] hacking the hammer myshare storage unit

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 18 13:08:53 CDT 2007

Wed, 18 Jul 2007 @ 13:01 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix said:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:24:01 +0200
> Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:43:31 -0500
> > Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Debian ARM chroot?
> > And have a look into dpkg-bootstrap...
>
> I found this:
>
> http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:crosscompile
>
> The Hammer uses a Marvell Orion 88F5182, while the D-Link units use the older
> 88F5181, so I'm thinking they should be compatible.  If so, then I might have
> what I need now.
>
> I'll also try some of the binaries.

Following up...

The binaries are a mixed bag.  Some things built for the older CPU on
the DNS-323 work, other things won't even try to execute.

Now and then I get an illegal instruction error, which I find odd: I
would think the newer CPU was a superset of the older one.

Anyway, I did find that the dropbear ssh stuff works, with the exception
of missing dsa.  It has rsa and dss instead, and it doesn't have the
sshd server.

I also have trouble getting rsync on the Hammer to talk to external
rsync software.  External clients complain that the Hammer sends its
version number instead of a greeting.

Still, this is progress.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto