[geeks] opendns.com - thoughts?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Tue Jul 10 09:32:17 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson writes ...

> Anyone have any exp. with opendns.com? The idea is
> interesting, to block certain sites at the DNS-level, but I
> can't quite make sense of their funding model (start with $2
> Million, then what?)...
>
> I'm gonna give it a try, but I was curious about others exp.
> (if any) with them...
>
> I guess there was a write-up in the NYT today about this...

I don't know nuthin' 'bout no opendns.com, but I block a bunch of sites
using regular-ole DNS.

I use the plan limned out at http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/.  Basically, you
have a DNS null zone file that says that the host is at 127.0.0.1 (or
0.0.0.0), then, for any host you want to block, you point their domain name
at your null zone file.  This means no advertisements on most webpages.

In addition, I have my own list of sites I don't want my users to be able to
visit, like known malware distributors, and I point those domain names at
the null zone file, too.

Then there's the firewall ....

-Shel