[geeks] UNIX-like OS for a laptop [solved, for now, I think]

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Jul 9 10:09:05 CDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:42:47 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:35:37AM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Anyone know where they keep the list of installable package names?
> > "postfix" I could guess, but stuff like "netkit-inet" is pretty
> > hard to figure out from scratch.
>
> I've never been able to figure it out. I do:
>
> 	apt-get install "<package name string>~"

Unless I've gotten mixed up, I'd say "apt-cache search package" may be
what you want. It apparently takes regexps as the 'package' bit, but I
only seem to get relatively sane results when using something like :-

	apt-cache search --names-only "^vi"

Sometimes it's easiest just to pipe the output through grep.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 By the way, you DON'T want to see what a meat layer buffer overrun