[geeks] Virtual Hosting, with a twist

William Kirkland bill.kirkland at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:17:01 CDT 2007

yes, not so much of a twist as you think ... look at the "jail" sub-
system for FreeBSD ... it is specifically designed for that
particular configuration and works well providing a virtual unix
node. I have seen a 2G system handle more than 100 small sites while
allowing full configuration control to each of their independent
customers. This allows an ISP to provide email, dns, http, and the
full range of services, and allows the customers to manage the
configuration of those services.

I suspect that there are similar instances where MS is the platform
provided.

On Jul 3, 2007, at 20:40 PDT, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

 > Message: 9
 > Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:05:59 -0500 (CDT)
 > From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
 > Subject: [geeks] Virtual Hosting, with a twist
 >
 > Hello all,
 >
 > I was wondring, does anyone offer "Virtual Server" hosting for VMWare
 > systems, as compared to virtual HTTP servers defined within one
Apache
 > instance?
 >
 > I'm thinking it could be an interesting market niche, but
personally I
 > have no use for it...
 >
 > Lionel

I provided a less resource intensive configuration allowing the
virtual nodes to share their executables with links, to one such
provider. He choose not to use it because he could not charge his
customers for the disk space of the OS to each customer.

*IF* you are interested, I'll re-build a server and create
documentation.
bill.kirkland at gmail.com