[geeks] Laptops taken out of the U.S.

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Tue Jul 3 13:36:07 CDT 2007

On 03/07/2007, at 10:51, Mike Meredith wrote:

>> I am pretty sure that Toshiba would have a similar policy.
> And Acer.

I think both of you missed the point of Geoff's post.  I also live in
Israel, and share a number of mailing lists with Geoff, so I can
explain.

Laptops bought in the US and brought overseas are definitely covered
by international warranty.  All you have to do is ship it to the
manufacturer's service depot (US, Ireland, or Singapore) and wait for
it to come back.

Yes, it's under warranty, and yes you'll get it fixed, but it's not
usually going to be local service.  Apple, on the other hand, has the
only international warranty that we know of that provides for local
service in any country where they have a representative.  If you have
your original receipt, you get service right away.  If not, they have
to verify coverage with Cupertino or Belfast, which can take a few days.

---sambo